Ted Hallett is a very gifted actor, improviser, teacher, and all around terrific person. I credit his 101 class for reinvigorating my love of improv, and his emphatic teaching style for causing me to take it seriously. Here is his ITC bio: http://www.impatient.ca/people/ted-hallett/
For most actors, the restaurant industry is a common job to pay the rent and bills. From server to line cook, bartender to dishwasher, I’ve worked it all. Depending on what restaurant you work in, It’s a job where you can hustle your ass off for tax-free cash, then drop it at a moment’s notice for that Canadian Tire commercial you booked. The job has a very high employee turnover rate for a reason….it eats your soul.
- Name tags are not cool. As a server, you should have the choice to remain anonymous.
- Never. Never. Never. Have the soup.
- If a customer requests to pack up his left-over calamari, be fucking sure that the waiter has popped a few in his mouth.
- At some point, EVERYONE is an asshole.
- It’s true, black people LOVE chicken wings.
- Waiters have to tip out 4 to 5 percent of what they sell. If you stiff the guy at the end, you literally cost them money to serve you. If you can’t afford to tip, you have no business dining out in a restaurant. Stay the fuck home.
- Only douchebags smell the cork!
- If you’re mean to the waiter, they WILL fuck with your food.
- Smiles are NOT free.
- If you are relatively good-looking and a customer thinks they can have sex with you , you will make more money. If you’re ugly, you had better be funny and charming. Even with those qualities, ya got your work cut out for ya.