- Make sure that the song title is “Ignition (remix)”. Ignition is a different song.
- Know at least most of the lyrics. It might be cute and funny for you, but it’s brutal to watch somebody standing and giggling for 4 minutes because they chose a song they do not know at all. “Just a Friend” by Biz Markie, for instance, has rap parts.
- Ballads are nice ways to slow things down for a minute, and create a bit of dynamic range in an overall karaoke night. I personally enjoy singing “Hello” and “Georgia on my Mind”.
- Have one song that you know front to back. If you only end up singing one song in a night, make sure you kill it.
- There is a split of people who prefer bar karaoke over booth karaoke, but to me there’s no comparison. In booths you are with your friends, singing as many songs as you want, with no idiot dj determining the levels. I don’t need to sing for strangers….I’m just singing for myself.
- I take karaoke too seriously. I know that. But I just love it so much.
- Those controllers are somewhat confusing, but you just need to remember to make sure you type in the full number, and hit “Reserve” (or whatever the equivalent button is). Ignore the Korean or Japanese characters unless you read Korean or Japanese.
- When you type in the wrong number, sometimes you end up with a song in a language you do not know. For the first 30 seconds you wonder…should we try singing this anyway, just for fun? Then you realize….no. We should not.
- Some people can really surprise you…there are great voices that are being hidden from the world, and that’s a shame.
- It doesn’t matter if you have a great voice. It’s about attitude, personality, and performance.
Bonus: Ten karaoke songs for everybody to sing and love (cheesy as some may be):
“Say It Ain’t So” – Weezer
“Part of Your World” – Little Mermaid Soundtrack (for women mostly)
“Don’t Stop Believing” – Journey
“Sweet Caroline” – Neil Diamond
“Lithium” – Nirvana (depending on the crowd) also “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, obvs
“Living on a Prayer” – Bon Jovi
“Like a Prayer” – Madonna
“Love Shack” – B52s
“Faith” – George Michael
“Tiny Dancer” or “Rocketman” – Elton John